Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)
The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) will help frail Elders living in the community to maximise their independence, through the delivery of timely, quality entry-level support services, which takes into account the goals preferences and choices of each individual. THE CHSP will help its Clients to stay living in their own homes for as long as they can and wish to do so. The Programme also supports the relationship between the Clients and their Carers who provide the support necessary to help the Elders stay in their homes.
The objectives of the CHSP are to:
- Provide high-quality support, at a low intensity on a short-term or ongoing basis, or higher intensity services delivered on a short-term or episodic basis, to frail, older people to maximise their independence at home and in the community for as long as they choose, thereby enhancing their wellbeing and quality of life
- Support frail, older clients aged 65 years and over (50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) through the direct service delivery of planned respite services, which will allow regular carers to take a break from their usual caring duties
- Support clients to delay, or avoid altogether, the need to move into more expensive forms of aged care, such as Home Care Packages or residential aged care, so that whole-of-system 7 aged care costs can be kept at a sustainable level as the population ages and the number of people requiring care increases
- Ensure that all clients, including those with special needs, have equity of access to services that are socially and culturally appropriate and free from discrimination
- Ensure through the quality framework, including the Home Care Standards, that clients receive high quality services
- Facilitate client choice – to enhance the independence and wellbeing of older people, and ensure that services are responsive to the needs of clients
- Provide a standardised assessment process which encompasses a holistic view of client needs
- Provide flexible, timely services that are responsive to local needs.